- 3 cups plain Calpico
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 satsuma oranges, juiced and strained, plus 1 satsuma, segmented, for garnish
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons Cointreau
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 6 eggs
· Preheat the oven to 225ºF.
· Combine the Calpico, cream, satsuma juice, 1/2 cup sugar, Cointreau, and vanilla bean seeds and pod in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
· Whisk the eggs and remaining sugar in a bowl. Slowly pour the cream mixture into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return the saucepan to the stove over low heat and stir constantly until the mixture coats the back of a spoon, about 4 to 5 minutes. Strain the mixture and let cool.
· Pour into eight 6-ounce ramekins. Set the ramekins in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Add enough water to the baking dish so that it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake in the oven until the custard is just set and jiggles when gently shaken about 45 minutes. Remove and let cool. To serve, garnish each dish with a satsuma segment.